Sunday, April 29, 2007

Socks and Blooms


Spring has finally arrived in Rochester! This morning on my way to the gym I looked at my rhododendron and it is practically blooming. I'll give it to Wednesday before I see some full blown blossoms...given this nice sunny and warm weather continues. On the side yard, the lilacs are starting to bloom as well. Rochester is known for its annual Lilac Festival which is coming up shortly.



Speaking of sweet sights for the eyes, I ventured down to the Village of Fairport for the Perinton Historical Society's house tour. It was the perfect sunny, warm day to walk around the village, enjoy period houses and eat ice cream on the canal. In fact, we were the first ice cream customers at Lickety Splits, a great ice cream shop on the canal. Nothing inspires me more than looking at other people's crafts and there were some beautiful quilts in the houses. Perhaps I will be fabric shopping soon for a little something to make for me...

I have certainly spent a lot of time in fabric art these days with the birth of the Butterfly Garden quilt, that I put my fiber on the back burner. The other day I spoke to Amy, the knitting-extraordinairre who taught me knitting in the round over many cups of tea in Hemlock, NY who asked me what was on my needles these days. Sadly, nothing except the Trinity Christmas Scarf for my mother was in progess. With new found excitement for the garter stitch and some sock yarn from my birthday in November, I began to make a little something for me.



It's knitting up quite fast and I'm about to turn the heal, which is clearly the best part of knitting socks. Hopefully, I don't come down with the dreaded Second Sock Syndrome... If I don't I have a whole slew of other socks to start making from my most favorite knitting book ever Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush. My fingers are crossed that these Spring Fling socks will be done in time for Amy and my Knit and Tell and yarn shopping extravaganza in a couple of weeks!


No comments: